Sweet Potato, Goats Cheese and Caramelised Onion Tart 2
The second of my sweet potato, goats cheese and caramelised onion tarts uses JusRoll gluten free puff pastry (see tart 1 for a shortcrust pastry tart). I love the contrast of sweet caramelised onion, soft sweet potato and goats cheese and crunchy puff pastry.
I first made this tart when my boyfriend's parents came to visit, and served it in slices with a side salad. It went down a treat, so I've since made it on Sunday to take in for lunch during the week. It's the perfect light lunch for summer while still having some carbs to get you through the day.
If you give the recipe a go, please let me know what you think in the comments!
- 1 sheet jusroll gluten free puff pastry (or your own/another version)
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 3 red onions
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 100g goats cheese
- A little milk to brush over the pastry
- Pre-heat the oven to 180⁰C
- Peel and slice the onions (do not dice). Heat a little oil in a saucepan, add the onions to the pan and cook over a low heat for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel the sweet potatoes and cut into small bitesize chunks. Spread the pieces over a baking tray, drizzle with a little vegetable oil and season with the chilli flakes. Place the tray in the oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar into the saucepan with the onion and stir. Continue to cook over a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Unroll the pastry sheet and lay it flat over a baking tray. Spread the caramelised onions over the base, leaving a 1-2 inch gap at the edge. (See pictures below)
- Cut the goats cheese into cubes and scatter the sweet potato pieces and goats cheese over the top of the caramelised onion.
- Brush a little milk over the pastry border.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the pastry turns a golden brown.