Honey and Almond Cupcakes
These cupcakes are some of the lightest and tastiest I've had. You'd never guess in a million years that they're refined sugar and gluten free!
I first made these when I was living in the Netherlands and couldn't find any gluten free self-raising flour, but stumbled across some almond flour. I ended up thinking myself lucky that I'd had to experiment.
I made mine for Easter, with pretty pastel buttercream and chocolate eggs, but you could use the recipe at any time of year and decorate however you like.
I use cups in this recipe because I find the American way of measuring much easier than weighing out ingredients, but I've put the conversions in too for ease.
1 1/2 cups almond flour (150g)
1/2 cup honey (170g)
1/2 cup butter (slightly softened) (115g)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 cup milk (240 ml)
(Preheat oven to 180 degrees C)
- Mix together the wet ingredients – honey, butter, vanilla extract, milk and eggs – in the bowl of a blender
- Add in the almond flour, salt and baking powder and mix until combined
- Place cupcake cases into a muffin tin and fill each case to about half way
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes
- Wait for the cupcakes to cool, and then frost with buttercream icing